The Libraries Transform Campaign, an initiative of the American Library Association (ALA), is designed to increase public awareness of the value, impact and services provided by libraries and library professionals. The campaign will ensure there is one clear, energetic voice for the profession, providing library advocates with adaptable tools to showcase for the public the transformative nature of today’s libraries and elevating the critical role libraries play in the digital age.
Why care about libraries. Hey we can get all we need from a smartphone right? Not exactly.
- Because 5 million students can’t access broadband at home
- Because collaboration empowers teachers
- Because today’s gamer could be tomorrow’s inventor
- Because school is a time to think, create, share and grow
- Because libraries make leaders
- Because ISPS shouldn’t have VIPS’s
- Because the internet shouldn’t have a slow lane
- Because audiobooks turn commutes into adventures
- Because librarians have been helping people fact check since forever
- Because 0 and 1 add up to infinite possibilities
- Because blue state or red state, everyone benefits from an enlighten state
- Because the summer slide isn’t playground equipment
- Because the expert in the library is you
- Because librarians know information is the best medicine for healthcare questions
- Because the best search engine in the library is the librarian
- Because librarians get an A+ for ensuring kids excel in reading
- Because fake news can have real world consequences
- Because access equals opportunity
- Because hands on learning builds stronger brains
- Because free wi-fi shouldn’t require a receipt
- Because a little know how can make a smart phone smarter
- Because you might take an interest in Gardening at 3 A.M.
- Because a library card is the most important school supply of all
- Because students who read during the summer, end up on the honor roll in the Fall
- Because learning starts before kindergarten
- Because it’s 3 A.M. and you need to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Because txt rfine, but srsly, ppl also need 2 c real sentences
- Because 5 out of 5 doctors agree, reading aloud to children supports brain development
- Because adding Minecraft to curriculum may inspire more future engineers than mathematics alone
- Because learning to read comes before reading to learn
- Because there are more than 14,400,000 search results for the 2016 presidential election
- Because more than a quarter of U.S. households don’t have a computer with an internet connection
- Because why shouldn’t you be able to bring your grande caramel snickerdoodle macchiato?
- Because students can’t afford scholarly journals on a ramen noodle budget
- Because employers want candidates who know the difference between a web search and research
- Because punctuation without imagination makes a sentence, not a story
SensoryEdge has been working with libraries since we started in 2003. We’ve sold educational rugs and waiting area toys to libraries across the country. Libraries are more than a place to sit and read, they’re a place for fun and adventure. Support your local library.
Photo Credit: Trinity College Library, Dublin, 1732
Photo Credit: istockphoto