NAPLAN, the National Assessment Program – Literacy and Numeracy, is an annual assessment for all Australian students in Years 3, 5, 7 and 9. The purpose of this assessment is to gauge student performance in literacy and numeracy skills.
For many parents, helping their children become familiar with the test format can seem daunting. However, with the help of online practice tests, you can easily boost your child’s confidence before they sit their NAPLAN exam.
Online practice tests are designed to help familiarise students with the type of questions they can expect on their NAPLAN exam. They come with a range of features that will allow your child to prepare effectively for their upcoming assessment.
Some of these features include:
- Timed tests to replicate a real-world exam experience
- Questions are written by experienced teachers and subject experts
- Detailed answer explanations to help your child understand any mistakes they have made
- Personalised analytics to track your child’s progress over time
When it comes to online practice tests, many benefits make them an effective way for your child to prepare for their upcoming NAPLAN test.
Here are just some of those benefits:
- They provide a simulation of what students can expect from the actual test – so they know what types of questions they need to prepare for.
- They give students a chance to get used to timing themselves during exams – so they don’t become overwhelmed by having too little or too much time during the actual test.
- They break down complex topics into smaller chunks which makes learning easier and more efficient – so students can focus on mastering each topic one step at a time before moving on to the next one.
- They offer detailed answer explanations which allow students to understand why certain answers are correct or incorrect – so they know what areas need improvement before sitting their final exam.
The good news is that there are plenty of free NAPLAN practice tests available online for students preparing for NAPLAN. These free resources will allow your child to gain valuable experience answering similar types of questions that may appear on the actual exam without having to pay anything out-of-pocket!
You can also purchase NAPLAN practice tests from online stores or bookstore chains. These books typically contain more in-depth explanations of each question and offer additional resources such as reference materials and audio/video clips to further explain difficult topics. Purchasing a practice book may be beneficial for those who want to get a better grasp of the exam material before tackling the test.
Finally, some schools offer NAPLAN classes or workshops to help students prepare. Inquire with your child’s school administration about any upcoming classes or courses that may be available. These courses usually provide comprehensive explanations of topics and questions related to the NAPLAN tests.
In addition to using online practice tests as part of your preparation strategy, there are other tips that parents can follow when helping their children feel confident ahead of taking a NAPLAN assessment:
- Make sure study sessions focus on mastering concepts rather than cramming facts – this will ensure students have a deeper understanding which is important when answering questions correctly in an exam setting;
- Encourage open dialogue between teachers and parents – this will ensure everyone understands where improvements need to be made;
- Focus on building positive mindsets instead of stressing about results – this will create an environment where success isn’t solely measured by grades but also by effort;
- Provide plenty of rest & relaxation outside study sessions – this will help reduce anxiety levels leading up to exams;
- Keep distractions away during study sessions – devices such as phones & tablets should be kept out of sight until after exams have been completed;
- Lastly, remain positive & encouraging throughout revision periods – this will motivate kids even further so successes come naturally.
By following these tips alongside using online practice tests, you’ll soon see how much easier becoming confident in literacy & numeracy skills becomes when combined with quality preparation.